Author Topic: Notation tools for lead sheets  (Read 2360 times)

Andy Faulkner

• View Profile
Notation tools for lead sheets
« on: August 09, 2016, 11:09:31 AM »
Does anyone have advice on starting out with tools to make pro-quality lead sheets.  I have toyed with Sibelius in the poast and can buy it at a cheap educational rate.Up to now I have just about got by with Band in a Box, which makes usable lead-sheets for simpe tunes as long as there is no switching between triplet and swung quaver timings. I just tried using MUSESCORE, which is open-source free software, and claims to do much of what Sibelius does in terms of jazz lead sheet tools. I mananged my first one page lead sheet in just over an hour including lyric and chord entry, whcih seemed reasonable for a first shot given I was learning the program at the same time. Anyone else have any advice?
thanks
Andy

Andy Faulkner

• View Profile
Re: Notation tools for lead sheets
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 01:44:26 PM »
by the way for my second lead sheet  I used midi keyboard note entry - which is really fast - you just select the note length (if difft from the last) and play the note
-

Sam Montero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 01:08:09 PM »
Hi Andy,

I don't really have any advice on any of the alternatives, as I haven't used any of them, but I have used musescore quite a bit and once you get the hang of it it's quite quick and I've found it useful for small band arrangements etc. Haven't used the midi keyboard entry tho which sounds cool.
Cheers

Sam

Andy Faulkner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 11:03:45 AM »
thanks Sam - I am liking it more and more as I use it - just the slash notation to get to grips with now to mark rhythm section hits.
Andy

Nick Weldon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 11:34:00 PM »
Have just done the latest batch of Summer School tune sheets with Notion 5 - we'll see how well they work!
Here's a review...
http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/presonus-notion-5

Dionne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 10:35:41 AM »
I use Sibelius. Although it seems a bit glitchy over rhythm slashes. The used to be fine, but following an up-date, i cant get them. You can also install a pdf reader as a free add on, so if you have some notation, you can scan it and Sibelius can read it. Great for transposing scores. But the error rate is terrible and you can spend ages correcting the misread info and bizarre time signature interpretations.

Andy Faulkner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 06:10:30 PM »
Thanks all. I am still pretty happy with MuseScore, but Notion sounds interesting. There is an Ipad version that I think you can use as a source of transposble lead sheets, which would  be very cool.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:24:49 PM by Andy Faulkner »

david ward

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 08:57:03 AM »
Fwiw. If I know that I will need to create a band arrangement, I'll use Logic, mainly for the quality of sampled instruments to audition the harmonisations. I'll then save the MIDI files and use Sibelius 7 light version which is under 100 to engrave the parts. I find that Sibelius is good for controlling the apperance of parts, adding notations, system breaks and so on. The main downside is the (typically Windows) "verb before noun" necessity to choose a command first, rather than (typically MacOs) clicking on an object and then deciding what to do, but that's just me stumbling around.

david ward

• View Profile
Re: Notation tools for lead sheets - stylus
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 10:01:30 PM »
I bought Notion, and have been using it to jot down melodic ideas for solos. The guitar tab plus stave view is perfect, but I have a few niggles.
1. I couldn't find a way to insert a new single note or phrase (from the clipboard)  and thus shift all notes along. It needs an insert/overwrite toggle.
2 I found that it was possible to enter multiple notes on the same beat in single note mode.
3 the display of complex chords like Bb7 13b9 would be better if the upper extensions were in a vertical bracket.
4 the Adonit Jot Dash stylus is useless due to a positioning error. Drawing a diagonal line with a ruler results in an evenly modulated trace. (On iPad Air 2 and Mini).

Andy Faulkner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 12:24:48 AM »
Zm still ha[[y with Musecore forleadsheets, hsvr not really explored the MIDI functions except to enter notes and check my entry of the melody

Andy Faulkner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 03:11:58 PM »
I have now bought Notion - but have yet to discover much in there that I couldn't do with Musescore at least for making leadsheets