The Gollum Ensemble is for players of any instrument, with or without jazz playing experience. You do need to have fairly good instrumental ability, musical knowledge and some jazz listening history.
At entry level you will be working on basic jazz repertoire, harmony, rhythmic concepts and ensemble and improvising skills.
You will be aiming to gain or consolidate the following skills:
‣ comfortable with swing and simple latin feels at medium tempo
‣ able to tap three against two
‣ know by heart the standard jazz-blues and I Got Rhythm progressions in C F G and Bb (concert)
‣ familiar with modes, dominant-tonic harmony in major and minor keys and with chord construction and chord-scale relationships
‣ know how to use the harmonic minor scale when approaching the II chord
‣ recognise the dominant II chord
‣ recognise the dominant I and the movement to IV
‣ starting to join up chord tones with lines
‣ able to voice a range of chords without roots (pianists and guitarists)